5 Question to Ask Before Hiring a Social Media Manager | Social Buzz Pros
Recognizing the value in social media to your business, you've now decided to outsource social media management to a professional. But how do you decide on who to work with? With so many agencies and freelancers to choose from, check out these helpful questions that can help narrow who you should trust with your valuable social media presence.
How to Choose and Hire a Social Media Manager for Your Business
1. Can I review your portfolio? Whether it is a freelancer, small agency, or a large social media group, always ask to review their portfolio. Look at both their visual portfolio, as well as writing samples. Choosing a social media manager who is familiar with your company's industry is extremely important! Freelancers and smaller agencies tend to have specific industry expertise which you should look for. Many freelancers once held positions as in-house social media managers for large companies in the industry they specialize in. Smaller agencies tend to hire social media professionals who are highly fluent in the industries their agency specializes in. Social media managers that specialize in certain industries can offer a lot of intuitive guidance and support as they are constantly benchmarking and keeping up with trends. Hiring these kinds of managers can give you the edge you need to succeed. Larger social media companies look to hire people with strong writing skills and the technical skills needed to do the job right. However, it's not necessarily guaranteed that they will have the years of expertise specific to your industry. As you review their portfolio, look to see examples of work done in your industry. If you are happy with what you see, it's a good sign!
2. Can you provide examples of content specific to my business? Negotiate a reasonable fee with a potential social media manager to provide you with content examples. Some freelancers and small agencies may even do it for free. Asking to see an example of a blog post or a Facebook post can be very helpful in figuring out if a social media manager understands your business goals.
3. What will our collaborative relationship be like? Find out what kind of relationship you will have with your social media manager. Will you consult with weekly or monthly meetings? Will you have the opportunity to review all content before it goes live? Can you put social media out of mind and out of sight, trusting it's in good hands? No matter what you want, discuss with the social media manager what the collaborative relationship will be like and see if it works with you. Many social media managers are flexible and will meet the needs of the client.
4. What are your plans to drive engagement, increase visibility, and improve my business? Find out what kind of plans your social media manager has for your business. Look for innovation, interesting and exciting suggestions, campaign ideas, and diversity of content. You want to work with a social media manager who will not just create an online presence but revolutionize and innovate!
5. How flexible is our contract? Make sure you are clear about how you will be billed. Will it be hourly, by retainer, or by project? Social media managers do everything from program Facebook posts, build websites, create online profiles, and write blogs. Rates vary and some tasks take much more time than others. Social media can take a couple months to make an impact due to the time it takes to show up in search result and influence the algorithm. Have reasonable expectations but make sure you are comfortable with your contract.
At Social Buzz Pros we are experts in online marketing and social media management. Our professional writers are trained in SEO best practices, ensuring the interesting, high quality online content needed to elevate your business online. Consult with us by calling 424-354-8144 or emailing email@example.com today!