Ello! Ello! What New Social Network Do We Have Here? | Social Buzz Pros
A couple days ago we got an invite to Ello, the new ad-free social network, currently in beta-phase and invite only. Ello's making waves with articles on it's sparse, austere aesthetic and it's promises of no Facebook-like nonsense. In radical social media circles, there's talk of users abandoning Twitter and Facebook for Ello. There may be some cause for concern asr those tired of Facebook, both the ads and the privacy concerns, we've seen excitement for Ello for the sole reason it's not Facebook.
Like good social media managers we made a profile, added some friends, invited some friends, and cruised through it for a bit. Here are our findings!
Ello's biggest pro is actually not what it offers, though we will discuss that below, it is in what it is not. It is not Facebook or Twitter, or any other social network that exists. It is a new land in the world of internet real estate that is hoping to conquer the netizens tired of the reigning social networks. Ello's biggest pro is the promise of hope and change!
- No ads
- Privacy settings are very simple and easy to adjust however, Ello's contract has caveats for future sharing with affiliates and third parties
- So far the stalking capabilities found on Facebook are not apparent on Ello. There is no Graph Search and monitoring of activity of other users is difficult.
- There are no tagged posts and photos of users. Another plus in privacy.
- Instead of unfriending you can organize users by Noise and Friend. Quite funny.
- No one is really on it. You'll find a friend or two but otherwise it's a social networks that harkens back to older, wilder times. Be reckless. Say something strange. You're a tree falling in an empty forest.
Ello's most significant con maybe that it's actually so simple, it's confusing and difficult. We can see even the most social network savvy users being a bit confused. Relying mostly on symbols and unmarked buttons, Ello doesn't lend itself to easy, instant understanding While nearly every new social network requires some usage before one becomes fluent Ello sometimes seems counterintuitive especially coming from heavy Facebook usage.
- The Return/Enter key does not post a comment
- Posting comments seems rather confusing at times and many users over post the same image/text on their friends walls or their own because it doesn't appear they have understood it's gone through.
- For those who like to share and tag this capability does not exist.
- For those who like to online stalk, Ello doesn't necessarily lend itself to user activity location and actions with Facebook-like transparency.
- No one is on it!
As you can see the pros and cons of Ello overlap and is highly dependent on the user. We love it as a way to socialize with our closer group of friends online (which is who we used our invites on) and are very interested to see how Ello evolves and changes and ads to it's network once it is out of beta. However, as with many sites which have attempted to take down Zuckerberg and his squad, we're still waiting to see if Ello has what it takes!
At Social Buzz Pros we are experts in online marketing and social media management. Our professional writers are trained in SEO best practices, ensuring the interesting, high quality online content needed to elevate your business online. Consult with us by calling 424-354-8144 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org today!
You May Also Be Interested In